Writing Task 1 Revision - Important Skills To Acquire
Develop a plan before you start writing anything:
- Developing a plan should not take you more than 3 minutes.
- It should be key points and key words, not sentences.
- Key points can include:
Overall trend (Increase, Decrease, Stay unchanged, Fluctuate)
Peaks (Highest values) and Lowest values
Comparisons (Which values are bigger than which values)
Changes in order (A was the highest value in 2000 but B took the dominance in 2002)
Intersection or equals
Write an introduction:
- To write a good introduction, the only job you have to do is to rephase the given topic.
For example: The table below gives information about a restaurant’s average sales in three different branches in 2016.
Your introduction: The table describes how much a restaurant earned from its three different branches in 2016.
- Be careful about the pluarity of the subject and past tense (if existent)!
Write a sentence showing general trend(s):
- In Writing Task 1, a conclusion may not be developed as long as you analyse all details in the body content of your essay.
- A useful alternative is to write a sentence showing general trends. Two sentences are fine.
- For example (look at the pie chart above): In general, the pie chart shows that from 2011 to 2013, the shares of Facebook in the social media industry decreased, while the opposite was true of Twitter, LinkedIn, Google + and Pinterest.
Academic vocabulary to comprehend:
- Please find it here: http://bit.ly/task1-vocab
- Please do not try to remember them by heart. As you write essays and use these words, you will automatically remember them.
Before start writing sentences, please remember:
- Everytime you state a trend, include numbers with it.
- Data accuracy is highly important. Make sure you include the right numbers and units.
- Mind the tense. If the given time period in a line graph is 2050, then you need to use the future tense in your description.
- Express numbers and figures in an academic way. Example: Approximately half of respondents used Facebook as their social media platform in 2012.
- Rephrase subjects. Example: Favourite social media channel => Social media channel that people enjoy using.
Do you have any other useful tips for the Writing Task 1 section? If yes, please share them with others by leaving a comment.