Writing Task 2 Topic - Renewable Energy Sources
In this article, I would like to provide you with a number of analysis and evaluation points which can be used in a Writing Task 2 essay concerning renewable energy sources.
1. Advantages of renewable energy sources:
- They are not harmful to the environment.
- They can produce a huge amount of energy and help us to maintain global energy security.
- When renewable energy sources are developed, traditional fossil fuels will be in decline, leading to an improvement in the health of our natural environment.
2. Disadvantages of renewable energy sources:
- They are expensive to exploit and the exploitation process requires capital-intensive technology.
- Geographically speaking, not all regions in the world have a sufficient amount of renewable energy to make it a commercial product.
- Currently the costs of installing facilities using renewable energy are high, which means they are not an ideal option of small-sized companies and households in developing countries.
3. Examples related to renewable energy sources:
- Germany breaks a solar record: Please find the link here.
- 'Spectacular' drop in renewable energy costs leads to record global boost: Please find the link here.
- Google to be powered 100% by renewable energy from 2017: Please find the link here.
4. Sample essay topics on renewable energy sources:
- The use and applications of renewable energy sources are increasing on a global scale. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this trend? Give reasons for your answer.
- Some people believe that renewable energy sources are the answer to the problem of environmental pollution. What is your opinion on this statement?
- Some people think that renewable energy sources can help the world to maintain its energy security. Others, however, claim that this function can hardly exist. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Is using renewable energy sources popular and affordable in your country? Please share your thoughts with others by leaving a comment.
Watch this video produced by The Economist to understand how renewable energy companies are creating disruption in an industry that was used to be dominated by big oil and gas corporations.