Grammar Builder Exercise – Using Relative Clauses in Academic Contexts
Exercise: Connect the following separate sentences into single sentences using relative clauses.
1. The housing bubble in the US burst in 2008-09. The global financial crisis also started in this period.
2. Elon Musk is the current CEO of Tesla. He is also the leader of SpaceX and SolarCity.
3. China has recorded significant rates of economic growth over the past few decades. It is believed to lead the innovation race of the world in the near future.
4. Norway has witnessed a massive increase in the number of non-diesel cars over the past few years. The government of Norway introduced many policies such as free parking for drivers to encourage the use of electric cars.
5. Many researchers at this university have worked hard in the past few years. They want to investigate the reasons for failure of many start-up projects.
Please find the keys (suggested answers) here.
What do you think are the functions of relative clauses in academic writing and speaking contexts? Please share your thoughts by leaving a comment.