Speaking Part 3 Revision – The Rise of Social Media and Its Impacts
GENERAL TIPS FOR SPEAKING PART 3
- An ideal answer should consist of 5 to 6 sentences only.
- Remember to explain and evaluate your analyses.
- Real-life examples and case studies can significantly strengthen your analyses.
- A certain level of language complexity and diversity is needed, if you want to achieve a high score.
- No specialist vocabulary or knowledge is required.
SAMPLE QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTED IDEAS
1. Why has the use of social media increased in the past few years?
Suggested ideas: The increasing ownership of smartphones, people’s desire to update news instantly and share their stories with others.
2. Are there any academic advantages of using social media for students?
Suggested ideas: Online discussion with their peers, submitting assignment to lecturers, looking for academic journals and researches.
3. How can social media negatively impact young people?
Suggested ideas: Causing mental problems such as anxiety and depression, distracting students from their academic studies and leading to cyber-bullying.
4. How can social media companies help fight these problems?
Suggested ideas: Reminding users if they use more than a certain amount of time, and modernize their content censorship systems to remove hate speech and abusive language.
5. How can governments play a role in the process of solving problems resulting from social media channels?
Suggested ideas: Setting age limit for child users, and introducing legal penalties against social media companies that fail to remove reported hate speech (like what the German government just did).
Want to share your complete answers to the questions above? Please leave a comment.
Watch the video below, from the show “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert”, to understand the new change behind Facebook’s News Feed algorithm, which was just announced recently.