In this article, I would like to provide you with a number of suggested sentence structures which can be used to describe the causes of a problem. They can be applied in the Cause-Effect-Solution essay type in Writing Task 2.
1. This problem is caused by ...
Example: The rising rate of crime in developing countries is caused by a lack of working incentives among young laborers.
2. This problem can be traced to (the fact that) ...
Example: The problem of traffic congestion can be traced to the significant growth in the number of private vehicles.
3. ... contributes to the increasing seriousness of this problem.
Example: Income inequality in China contributes to the increasing seriousness of the problem of poverty in this Asian country.
4. ... is a major factor leading to the growth of ...
Example: Modern lifestyles such as the use of mobile devices are a major factor leading to the growth in the rate of obesity.
5. When/ Because ... happens, the problem of ... continues to have an effect.
Example: Because many governments spend too much strengthening their national defense, they fail to invest in to improve the education system of their countries.
Get access to more sample IELTS Writing essays here.
What are major social problems in your country and their leading causes? Please share them with others by leaving a comment.