In the Writing Task 1 section of the IELTS exam, you should try to diversify your vocabulary and grammar. In order to do that, you need to obtain an understanding of synonyms and antonyms. The following multiple-choice questions will help you assess how well you know and can apply synonyms and antonyms when writing Task 1 essays.
1. Which verb is the synonym of “increase”?
2. Which verb is the antonym of “climb”?
3. Which expression does NOT have the same meaning as “a considerable reduction”?
a. A remarkable depletion
b. A substantial fall
c. A noticeable drop
d. A negligible swell
4. Which noun best describes a trend with many enormous increases and decreases?
5. Which linking word can best replace the phrase in italics?
From 2000 to 2005, the population of town A increased from 10 thousand to 17 thousand. Furthermore, there was also a boost by 25% in the number of foreign residents.
a. In contrast
c. Equally important
6. Which noun represents the highest value of a line in a line graph?
7. Which adverb can best replace the phrase in italics?
In 2010, factory B produced just below 10,000 cars.
Please find the answers here.
Are there any other pairs of synonyms and antonyms in the Writing Task 1 section that you know? Please share them with others by leaving a comment.