1. (n) plague: a serious disease that spreads quickly to a lot of people and usually ends in death
Example: The plague grew so fast that authorities in the country could not control it, until they received international aid.
2. (adj) trite: to be old or boring
Example: The lecture on social skills from the principal was trite, because his students had listened to it for so many times.
3. (v) expunge: to remove something completely, especially from a written record
Example: The health clinic often expunges physical data records of patients who have not visited it in the last two years.
4. (v) purge: to remove a bad feeling or unpleasant condition from someone or something
Example: Thanks to practicing meditation regularly, he was purged of all his anxiety and depression.
5. (adj) vigilant: to watch a situation carefully
Example: Authorities recommend that tourists be vigilant in this city due to recent mass protests.
6. (v) sneak: to move somewhere quietly and secretly so that no one can see you
Example: The kids sneaked into their bedroom to give their dad a big surprise in his birthday.
7. (adj) scintillating: to be very impressive, clever or outstanding
Example: The essay was so scintillating that in the first place, the professor did not believe it was written by an undergraduate student.
8. (adj) blunt: to be outspoken and direct even though doing this might upset other people
Example: The managers provided him with blunt feedback on his performance, yet he was thankful.
9. (adj) terse: a terse statement is short and concise and is often made by a person who is annoyed by something
Example: Because the couple was in a conflict, they gave each other a terse goodbye.
10. (v) dilute: to make a liquid less strong by adding water or another liquid
Example: Theranos diluted small blood samples of patients with other liquids, even though doing so would make the testing process less reliable.
What other new words have you learned this month? Please share with others by commenting below!
Tham gia khóa học hè “Chinh phục 6.5 IELTS trong 20 buổi” cùng tác giả Nguyễn Mai Đức - sáng lập IELTS With Mr Duc (https://www.ieltswithmrduc.com/)
Khai giảng: 22.07.2019
Thông tin chi tiết: http://bit.ly/ielts-he-2019
Đăng ký: 0983119890